Saturday, February 16, 2008

wanted: multimedia news classroom template

In addition to creating blogs, I would like my students in "Writing for Electronic Journalism" to re-write (I guess the buzzword is "repurpose") their daily broadcast stories for a website. This would be the first baby step toward bringing our student TV show (which is already aired on the local cable station) to the internet. IT has given us a classroom page on the server, but I need to make it look like a real news site, so that we can post text and embed video and audio Is that wheel already invented, or do we have to slog through a design process that is really outside the parameters of our writing class?

By the way, in the small world department, at 8:3o last night my bus from Boston was winding its way through the white mountains. One of the kids in front of me had a Scottish accent. She was sitting with an Australian student, by the sound of it. So naturally I asked them who they were and why they were on this bus in very rural New Hampshire. Turns out the Scottish kid, named Pamela, is in Steve Fox's class. By the way, Steve, she was the only one in the group reading a book for school.

It's 3 degrees here in Vermont. I miss the Florida warmth--and I'm not just talking thermometer. So nice to have new friends who can make teaching a lot easier and more rewarding.

Carry on. . . .
Charlotte

3 comments:

Katy Culver said...

hi charlotte,

do your computer labs have ilife08 from apple? if so, it offers a nifty app called iweb that kids can use to build an easy template.

i've never used it but i checked w/ one of my students who said it took him 5 minutes to learn enough to put up a site w/ text, stills and audio.

another of my kids recommended

http://www.freewebsitetemplates.com/

but i took a quick look a while back and thought some of the code looked clunky, so caveat emptor : )

snazzblake said...

Hey, Charlotte.

It's not exactly a template, but Deborah Potter in her new book "Advancing the Story: Broadcast Journalism in a Multimedia World" discusses converting broadcast scripts to readable text for an online posting. I'm going to have my TV students do that for some of their stories this semester.

Hello to all!

Steve Fox said...

Small world indeed!

chrs,
Steve